Hoosiers pick Houchin, Fyfe as nominees for 9th Congressional District
Hoosiers cast their votes in primary races for several local, state and federal offices on Tuesday.
Former state Sen. Erin Houchin came out on top in a crowded Republican field for the nomination to replace outgoing Republican U.S. Rep. Trey Hollingsworth in the 9th Congressional District, though former U.S. Rep. Mike Sodrel picked up the most votes in Clark and Floyd counties. Teacher Matthew Fyfe won the Democratic nomination.
Most incumbents in Floyd County races prevailed, though a couple lost their seats. New Albany City Council member Al Knable won the nomination for Floyd County Commissioner District 1 over the current president of the commissioners, Shawn Carruthers. Floyd County Council member Adam Roberts lost his District 2 primary to Jim Freiberger.
Both counties will elect new sheriffs in this year’s general election. Steve Bush won the Republican nomination in Floyd County. Ed Byers was victorious on the Democratic side in Clark County.
Here’s a list of winners from contested local races.
Indiana 9th Congressional District
- Republicans: Erin Houchin, James Baker, J. Michael Davisson, Dan Heiwig, D. Eric Schansberg, Mike Sodrel, Stuart Barnes-Israel, Brian Tibbs, Bill J. Thomas
- Democrats: Matthew Fyfe, Isak Asare, D. William Dorris
State Senate District 47
- Republicans: Gary Byrne, Kevin Boehnlein
State Representative District 72
- Republicans: Edward D. “Ed” Clere (incumbent), Jackie Bright Grubbs, Thomas M. “Tom” Jones
- Republicans: Diana M. Topping (60.80%), Amanda M. Pahmeier
- Republicans: Steve Bush (52.76%), Sam Sarkisian
- Republicans: Terry L. Watson (50.24%), James W. Sinks (incumbent), Chris Dones
County Commissioner District 1
- Republicans: Al Knable (62.57%), Shawn Carruthers (incumbent)
- Democrats: Tyler P. Gaines (52.94%), Chuck Simons
County Council District 2
- Republicans: Jim Freiberger (65.56%), Adam Roberts (incumbent)
County Council District 3
- Republicans: Danny Short (incumbent, 57.95%), Brian Webb
County Council District 4
- Republicans: Denise Ann Konkle (incumbent, 51.40%), Doug Wacker
Greenville Township Board (Three nominees move on to general)
- Republicans: Dave Matthews (incumbent), Patty Nelson (incumbent), Kevin Williar, Cheryl Matthews (incumbent)
New Albany Township Board (Three nominees move on to general)
- Democrats: Rick Cochran (incumbent), Steven William Bonifer, Ceddrika L Porter, Max Gosman
Georgetown Town Council Member, At Large (Two nominees move on to general)
- Republicans: Chris Loop (incumbent), Brandon Hopf, Jason Parrish
- Democrats: Jeff Frey (62.16%), David “Yogi” Paris
- Democrats: Ed Byers (54.91%), Dwight T. Ingle
Correction: This article has been updated to correct the winner of State Senate District 47.
John Boyle is a corps member with Report For America, a national service program that places journalists into local newsrooms. John's coverage of Southern Indiana is funded, in part, by the Caesars Foundation of Floyd County, Community Foundation of Southern Indiana and Samtec, Inc.