© 2022 Louisville Public Media

Public Files:
89.3 WFPL · 90.5 WUOL-FM · 91.9 WFPK

For assistance accessing our public files, please contact info@lpm.org or call 502-814-6500
89.3 WFPL News | 90.5 WUOL Classical 91.9 WFPK Music | KyCIR Investigations
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations

Dozens of Counties Looking for Foster Care Review Board Volunteers

child coloring
Kate Ter Haar/Creative Commons

Dozens of Kentucky  counties are in need of volunteers to serve on foster care review boards.

The boards consider the cases of children placed in foster care because of dependency, neglect, and abuse. State law mandates that there be at least three volunteers on each board, although more are often needed due to heavy caseloads.

Dolores Smith, an Owensboro-based supervisor with the Department of Family and Juvenile Services, says the state laws creating the foster care review boards cast a wide net in terms of who is qualified to serve.

“(The statutes) mention folks with backgrounds in education, medicine, law, social work, and psychology,” Smith said. “But the overwhelming area they mention is that volunteers should have a genuine concern for child welfare.”

The goal of the foster care review boards, Smith said, is to find a safe, permanent home for children placed in the state’s custody.

“The volunteers are reviewing these children at least once every six months, looking for progress for that child to obtain permanency.”

The counties in need of volunteers are: Adair, Barren, Bath, Bourbon, Boyd, Bracken, Bullitt, Butler, Carter, Christian, Clark, Edmonson, Elliott, Fayette, Fleming, Grayson, Hardin, Hart, Jefferson, Jessamine, LaRue, Lewis, Logan, Madison, Marion, Mason, Menifee, Morgan, Ohio, Scott, Simpson, Taylor, Todd, Trigg, Warren and Washington.

Volunteers are not required to live in these counties to participate.

Information about the foster care review boards and how to apply as a volunteer can be found here.

Those wanting to serve on the review boards must consent to a criminal record and Central Registry check. A recommendation is then made to the chief judge of the District Court or Family Court for appointment.

(Image via Kate Ter Haar/Creative Commons)