© 2024 Louisville Public Media

Public Files:
89.3 WFPL · 90.5 WUOL-FM · 91.9 WFPK

For assistance accessing our public files, please contact info@lpm.org or call 502-814-6500
89.3 WFPL News | 90.5 WUOL Classical 91.9 WFPK Music | KyCIR Investigations
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations
Stream: News Music Classical

Kentucky Health Officials: Beware Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning During Cold Weather

With subzero temperatures in Kentucky's forecast this week, the Cabinet for Health and Family Services is warning residents about carbon monoxide poisoning from improper use of heating or cooking devices.

The cabinet says the National Center for Environmental Health advises using a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector in the home. Also:

  • Don't use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove or other such device indoors, or outside near a window.
  • Don't run a vehicle inside a garage attached to the home, even with the garage door open.
  • Don't use a fireplace that isn't properly vented or heat the house with a gas oven.

Early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, nausea, vomiting and fatigue. Seek immediate medical attention if carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected.