Details of Jefferson County Public Schools Audit To Be Released Wednesday
Less than a day after the Jefferson County Public Schools board asked State Auditor Adam Edelen to look into the district's finances and policies, Edelen has responded. On Wednesday morning, Edelen, Mayor Greg Fischer, Superintendent Donna Hargens and Board of Education Chair Diane Porter will announce the scope of the state audit of JCPS.This is a quick response from Edelen, though WFPL reported Monday that several board members had been discussing an external review before the official vote that evening. After the request was made official, JCPS gave media the following information about the scope of the audit.
- Determine whether policies governing contract procurement are adequate, consistently followed, and provide for a transparent process.
- Determine whether internal audit process exists and whether policies governing the internal audit process are adequate, consistently followed, and provide for timely reporting.
- Review District Board policies and evaluate policies using Auditor of Public Accounts (APA) recommendations applicable to boards of education and school districts.
- Analyze certain categories of financial activity for compliance with District policies and for various transaction activities, as well as, determine whether transactions appear reasonable, excessive, necessary, and have a related business purpose.
- Inquire whether conflicts of interest exist.
- Determine how the District compares to other state school districts or peer districts throughout the country involving use of funds for central office administration and classroom instruction.
- Report financial or innovative practices implemented to control or reduce non-instructional costs as reported by various Kentucky school districts.
The announcement is tomorrow at 10:30 a.m.