The Podcast Hatchery
Welcome to The Podcast Hatchery!
It's a monthly newsletter where you can have your questions answered by award-winning audio producer Laura Ellis (that's me), learn some behind-the-scenes stuff about how podcasting works here at Louisville Public Media, and get a thought prompt each month to help you think about your own work in a different way.
Previous editions, in case you missed them:
- Hatchery #1: 🐣 I'm ready to record my podcast — but how? Advice on finding a space to record, plus a thought prompt about audience engagement.
- Hatchery #2: 🐣 Should I charge guests money to be on my podcast? How does the conversation change if money changes hands? And what can you give your podcast guests to make their experience great?
- Hatchery #3: 🐣 I have a pile of tape and a dream. Now what? How to organize and structure your narrative podcast so your listeners are hooked from the first 15 seconds.
- Hatchery #4: 🐣 Are podcasts and radio besties? Or frenemies? What to consider when adapting your podcast for broadcast, and how to make sure the arrangement is fair to both sides.
- Hatchery #5: 🐣 I have a great idea for a podcast (I think...?) How do you know if your idea is good? And how do you avoid ruining a good idea with poor execution?
- Hatchery #6: 🐣 You’re making a podcast! Is anyone listening? Marketing and engagement ideas to grow your show’s audience
- Hatchery #7: 🐣 Where are they now? We check in with our very first question asker to learn about how she successfully launched her show!
- Hatchery #8: 🐣 A Podcaster's Holiday Wish List And how to pitch your idea to the LPM Podcast Incubator!
Ask me a question about podcasts and audio storytelling. And make sure you're signed up to get the Hatchery in your inbox every month, so you don't miss anything!