© 2024 Louisville Public Media

Public Files:
89.3 WFPL · 90.5 WUOL-FM · 91.9 WFPK

For assistance accessing our public files, please contact info@lpm.org or call 502-814-6500
89.3 WFPL News | 90.5 WUOL Classical 91.9 WFPK Music | KyCIR Investigations
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations
Stream: News Music Classical

UPDATE: Clarksville residents under carbon monoxide alert

Clarksville’s carbon monoxide alert for residents has been lifted.

According to a news release from town officials, the Clarksville Fire Department began receiving calls from residents experiencing chest pains at 3 a.m. Saturday. Since then, they’ve responded to nearly two dozen calls associated with carbon monoxidepoisoning.

Officials said those calls “dropped dramatically” around noon, allowing for the emergency status to be lifted.

At least four residents were transported to the hospital, according to the release.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include chest pains, headache, fatigue, light-headedness, dizziness, nausea, or unconsciousness. Officials urge anyone experiencing these symptoms to call 911 immediately.

Clarksville set up an emergency command center, with members of Clarksville Fire, the New Albany Fire Department and Clarksville Emergency Management.

With the emergency status lifted, operations returned to normal. The fire department is continuing to monitor the situation and will return to emergency functions, if needed.

It is unclear where the carbon monoxide was coming from, but town emergency officials are working with CenterPoint Energy to find the cause of the issue.

“[The calls] are all over South Clarksville. It also affected a kidney dialysis center. … There are similar cases in New Albany, including a hotel,” said Clarksville Communications Director Ken Conklin in a text message to LPM News.

The town’s fire department is urging residents to ensure their carbon monoxide monitors are functioning.

“We are also very concerned for residents who may not even have a carbon monoxide detector in their home,” Clarksville Fire Chief Brandon Skaggs said in the release. “That’s why we are asking everyone in Clarksville to check on their neighbors to make sure they are aware of the issue, and that their [carbon monoxide] detectors are operating correctly.”

The fire department is shutting off the gas in impacted homes and sending people to other safe spaces.

This story was updated at 5:10 p.m.

John Boyle contributed to this reporting.

Breya Jones is the Arts & Culture Reporter for LPM. Email Breya at bjones@lpm.org.

Can we count on your support?

Louisville Public Media depends on donations from members – generous people like you – for the majority of our funding. You can help make the next story possible with a donation of $10 or $20. We'll put your gift to work providing news and music for our diverse community.