© 2022 Louisville Public Media

Public Files:
89.3 WFPL · 90.5 WUOL-FM · 91.9 WFPK

For assistance accessing our public files, please contact info@lpm.org or call 502-814-6500
89.3 WFPL News | 90.5 WUOL Classical 91.9 WFPK Music | KyCIR Investigations
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations

Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program Crises Phase Begins

Over 11,000 Jefferson County residents are expected to participate over the next few months in crisis phase of the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program, LIHEAP, but the federal government has allocated less money for the program this year.LIHEAP provides one-time funding for eligible residents at or below 130 percent of the poverty line in the cold winter months. Between November and December nearly 11,000 residents use the program, according to Debbie Belt, community outreach specialist for the Department of Community Services and Revitalization. This year the city expects around the same amount to participate during the crisis phase, which could run through March depending on funding.“This group they would need to be facing disconnection. They have to receive their brown bill from LG&E. Or if they’re facing eviction, if their utilities are included in their rent," said Belt.Belt says the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has allocated around $2.4 million this year, or around 10 percent less than last year.She said the federal government could decide to allocate more funds.“Sometimes we get another installment. If Congress allocates some now, we might get some again at the end of January. Every year it’s very unpredictable," she said.Appointments can be made at the Urban Government Center at 810 Barrett Avenue. Eligible residents can return Monday to process their application.Click here to learn more. From the city: the following documentation must be presented 

when scheduling an appointment

1) Picture ID (if available)
2) Most recent LG&E bill (must be a brown bill), or an eviction notice if utilities are included in the rent

Eligible applicants must bring the following during processing.
  • Picture ID for head of household (if available)
  • Proof of all household income (all members) for the preceding month (food stamp award letter, Social Security award letter, pay stubs, etc.). All individuals 18 or over in the household with no income – and who do not receive food stamps -- must have a Proof of No Income form completed prior to applying for benefits (forms are available at the CAP office at 810 Barret or by  clicking here).
  • Social Security card(s) or official documentation with social security numbers or Permanent Resident Card Numbers for everyone living in the household.
  • Most recent heating bill or verification from landlord that heating expenses are included in the rent (i.e. lease agreements).