Attica Scott to Represent District One, House Says EPA Can't Regulate Coal Ash, Kentucky Coal Mine Flagged As Unsafe: Afternoon Review
- The Louisville Metro Council elected Attica Woodson Scott to fill the District 1 seat by a 18-to-7 vote Thursday.
- The U.S. House of Representatives has passed a bill to block the Environmental Protection Agency from regulating coal ash—a byproduct of burning coal for electricity. The bill gives control of coal ash disposal to the states, which are required to regulate it as least as stringently as municipal waste.
- A Kentucky coal mine has been flagged as unsafe by the Mine Safety and Health Administration. The Letcher County mine is the fourth recently placed on a ‘potential pattern of violations’ status.
- The office of U.S. Rep. Hal Rogers, R-Ky., has issued an apology to anyone who took offense to a joke he made about a Chinese diplomat.
- Occupy Louisville demonstrators say a permit has been acquired for Jefferson Square Park at 6th and Jefferson streets downtown. They say they can now stay overnight across the street from City Hall until the end of the year.