Australian Man Waives Process for Extradition Hearing
The Australian man accused of strapping a fake bomb around the neck of an 18 year-old woman is waiving the extradition process in hopes of getting back to his home country sooner.Paul Douglas Peters entered the courtroom in leg shackles and a thick black-and-white striped Oldham County jail jumpsuit. Kentucky District Court Judge Dave Whalin confirmed with Peters what he was giving up by waiving his rights to have a full extradition hearing, which was scheduled for Oct. 14. The extradition treaty between the U.S. and Australia says if he were extradited he couldn’t be charged in Australia with anything other than what was filed in the complaint, said Whalin. When asked whether he understood, Peters said, “Yes, I do, sir.”“I don’t anticipate any additional charges. I’m not aware of any charges that might be added at this point,” said Thomas Clay (pictured), Peters' attorney.Peters was wanted in Australia when he was arrested by a U.S. SWAT team at his ex-wife’s home in La Grange last month. His initial court appearance was a day after his arrest. The U.S. and Australian treaty gives Australian authorities 60 days to file an extradition application to the Kentucky District Court. But Peters instead signed an affidavit for waiver of the process.“The Oldham County Jail is no rose garden. Certainly its no place someone would want to spend an extended amount of time. But he wants to get out of there and get back home where he can deal with these charges,” said Clay.The complain includes charges of breaking and entering and kidnapping.Clay said Peters is in U.S. Marshall custody and it's now up to the Australian authorities to bring him back.