© 2023 Louisville Public Media

Public Files:
89.3 WFPL · 90.5 WUOL-FM · 91.9 WFPK

For assistance accessing our public files, please contact info@lpm.org or call 502-814-6500
89.3 WFPL News | 90.5 WUOL Classical 91.9 WFPK Music | KyCIR Investigations
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations

State Agency Has Advice for Filing Insurance Claims

Yesterday’s flooding in the Louisville area damaged homes, cars and other properties. Officials say those filing insurance claims should be informed. WFPL’s Elizabeth Kramer has more.The Kentucky Department of Insurance is advising home owners to read their insurance policies before filing claims related to this week’s flooding.Department commissioner Sharon Clark."Flood insurance is not necessarily a component on anyone’s policy," Clark says. "So, the best advice and the first advice is always to read your policy to see whether coverage is there. And it might be something that people might want to consider inquiring about and maybe even purchasing flood insurance in the future."Clark says costs relating to auto damage from flooding would be covered under comprehensive auto insurance but not liability insurance."If people have comprehensive coverage, as opposed to liability, comprehensive coverage includes acts such as this," she says. "The deductibles, however, do apply. So, if they have had a vehicle that has been significantly damaged, they need to file a claim."She says auto owners who had vehicles that were submerged in water should have them checked for damage, even if it isn't evident. She says that if the claim for the damage exceeds 75 percent of the value of the vehicle, it will be salvaged out.She says people who have questions about flood insurance can contact the National Flood Insurance Program.The damage was evident in yesterday’s [TUESDAY’S] flooding in the Louisville are — with floating cars and inundated homes and buildings. It has the Kentucky Department of Insurance advising auto and home owners about filing claims with insurance companies.Clark also cautions people to work with reputable adjusters."People need to be aware if they’re approached by an adjusters, they should ask if they’re licensed in the commonwealth of Kentucky," she says. "And they should find our if their status — if they are quote “public adjusters” or if they are adjusters actually for the insurance company that has that coverage with that policyholder."Clark says people who have questions about flood insurance can contact the National Flood Insurance Program.